Check Out These Facts About Chihuahua Puppies!
The long-lived Chihuahua has topped the charts for companionship for many years!
When you’re out shopping in a department store and you come across an incredibly tiny doggie dress fully equipped with tulle and a tutu, you probably can imagine what precious pup is gonna fit in it. Your thought is likely a Chihuahua puppy and you’re probably correct! These darlings are loved worldwide and here’s why.
They Have A Rich and Unique History
- They are absolutely the smallest and most popular breed in the world.
- Though their ancestry originated in Mexico, they are the oldest breed in America!
- Chis, as they’re affectionately called, was said to have been brought to Europe by explorer Christopher Columbus during 16th century.
- They have been used in religious ceremonies and was the preferred pet to the upper class members of society.
- These energetic pups are synonymous with the term “Purse Dogs.” We believe their pint sizes were the inspiration for the boom in doggie fashion apparel!
Larger Than Life…And That’s About It!
- Chihuahua puppies will always look like puppies, because the breed standard states that they shouldn’t weigh more than 8 pounds.
- Outside of the show dog world, Chihuahuas often grow as big as 12 pounds.
- If you come across “teacup” or “miniature” Chihuahuas, pay those words no never mind as there’s no such thing. Adding a modifier in front of the breed name is a slick way to somehow place a higher value on the Chihuahua puppy!
- Sure they’re lap dogs because of their size, but Chihuahuas actually need lots of human attention and interaction. These adorable ones love petting and touching.
- Don’t let their little legs fool ya. They’re active and require a daily walk, albeit a rather short one!
- They tend to shed on the average side, no matter if it’s a short or long haired Chihuahua puppy. Both should be gently brushed regularly.
- Don’t overfeed your Chi. We can’t stress this enough. Pay close attention to their diets as they’re prone to hypoglycemia and need to eat high quality proteins to keep their metabolism on track.
- As you can guess, Chihuahuas are extremely sensitive to cold weather, so go ahead and purchase a few of those teeny dresses and cute sweaters you’ve encountered a time or two. Your pup will thank you for it!