17 Interesting Facts About Chihuahua Puppies!
We know you love Chihuahuas, I mean, who doesn’t? But how much do you really know about them?
Chihuahuas have been around for a long time and we mean long! It’s recognized as one of the oldest dog breeds still in existence and is thought to have originated about 2,000 years ago in Mexico. Since then, this feisty little breed has remained a loving companion and it shows in their enduring popularity. Since we love our Chihuahua puppies so much, we thought we’d do a blog with some interesting facts about them!
Read along for more, or check out all our Chihuahua puppies that are ready for their furrrr-ever homes, right here!
- Chihuahuas puppies started becoming popular as preferred pets in the 1960’s.
- The average size of a Chihuahua litter is 4 pups.
- The Chihuahua Club of America was founded in 1923.
- Chihuahua noses are various colors. They include black, brown, gray, and pink. Some are two-toned, as well.
- Chihuahuas are nicknamed “Chi-chis” or simply “Chis.”
- Chihuahuas come in every color under the sun and are the only dog breed to be recognized for all of them. All white Chihuahuas are the rarest of all the colors.
- Full grown Chihuahuas are typically 4 to 8 pounds.
- It has been proven that Chihuahua puppies originated from the ancient Techichi dogs of Mexico.
- Chis with floppy ears are not the standard in the breed, but they can still be pure bred Chihuahuas and have ears that lay down instead of stand up.
- One of the famous Taco Bell dogs was a Chihuahua! As you might remember…
- The Aztecs believed that the early ancestors of Chihuahua puppies possessed powers to transfer diseases from human to themselves, as a sign of protection to their owners. This myth is still believed even today!
- In addition to being called the Arizona dog, Chis were also called the Texas dog.
- The Chihuahua is in the toy breed group and classified as a lapdog companion.
- They got their name from their state of origin, Chihuahua, Mexico.
- Chihuahua puppies are born with floppy ears.
- The Chihuahua is the smallest purebred dog. In 2014, a Chi named Milly was recognized in the Guinness Book of World Records. She was 3.8 inches tall!